CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Post 10: Filipino KOMIKS!


Ever since I was young I loved to read. I would read a novel for like 2 whole days or a week for the latest, but as I got older and busier with school works and other stuff, I began to read less. As such I started to look for shorter yet entertaining reading materials. In my 1st year in high school, I was introduced to Mangas and Comics. I enjoyed reading it as it was easy to understand but as I am curious, I began to wonder, How did the Filipino Comics industry start?





According to Duy Tano's Filipino Komiks and History the very first Filipino Comic is Jose Rizal's very own "Ang Matsing at ang Pagong", it was Rizal's outlet to show the oppression shown by the Spanish invaders, to which the story shows how a turtle outwits a clever monkey to do his bidding who ultimately fails in the end and loses the most important thing...his dignity.


Jose Rizal: The Philippine National Hero
and the First Filipino 'Komikero'

  The Philippines' most popular comic artist is none other than Mr. Mars Ravelo. He made classic superhero comics and mythological stories like Darna, Captain Barbell, Flash Bomba, Dyesebel, Tiny Tony, Lastikman, Varga and many more. These comics are now being serialized as movies and TV series with multiple adaptations of the said stories. Though "Dyesebel" was not a superhero but in fact a woman turned mermaid, her story captivated the Filipino audience. "Dyesebel" now has a multitude of TV and movie adaptations, also other stories that were based on her story design. Mars Ravelo's works was a way for him to show the feeling of freedom and escapism that was in the air at the time of colonization, having just driven the Japanese out and gaining our independence even as an American territory. For the first time in centuries, we were an autonomous country.
 Nowadays, the Filipino Comics Industry is still growing, as this century's generation is still mesmerized by the promises of foreign products, Komikeros strive hard to make comics that will gain not only the attention of Filipino children but also their respect.

I, myself am a supporter of KOMIKS, I enjoy reading old and new works and I have also gained interest in a particular local comic publishing house. Studio Studio is a band of Filipino comic artists who are fans of manga and have adapted its style to produce their own brand of comics. Studio Studio has so far, released two graphic novels: Love is in the Bag and Angel Crush. I have copies of volumes 1 and 2 of Love is the Bag and I was really addicted to the plot. Although I wasn't able to buy the last 3 copies, I have read the whole series and I just love it! Angel Crush was also good though it wasn't as a hit as Love is in the Bag, it was a step to Studio Studio's take on supernatural genre.
Covers of Love is in the Bag Vol. 1-5 and Angel Crush Vol. 1

Aside from the usual comic artists and their works, comic enthusiasts have arranged an annual celebration of Filipino comic artistry with KOMIKON, the largest comic convention in the Philippines. It is an event that commemorate Filipino artists, promote their works and amateur artists can also learn from veteran artists all around the world.

KOMIKS as we Filipino's say it, is a way of expression, well for me this is definitely true. As an artist, we show our feelings and emotions through our canvas, for Komikeros they let their emotions through their stories and with that they shall be recognized. An amateur artist once said:


"It's not how beautiful or artistic your drawings turn out to be, it is how your drawings portray the stories and emotions you want to express to your reader, that's what truly matters"

0 comments:

Post a Comment